4.05.2005

Gold May Now Be at the End of Rainbows

Year after year, I enter into my "office" NCAA pool and year after year, I land right at the bottom of this pool. I lose to people who never watch basketball, people who choose their winners based on school color combinations, children, dogs, and even people who went to business school. I lose miserably even if I watch tons of college basketball games, read scouting reports, look at home versus road records,use a divining rod, consult with God, it just doesn't seem to matter.

But this year something changed, sure I'm still working on my dissertation, so in that regard not much changed. But, then again, now, I have to teach people who insist that taking notes is too hard so they are wondering if *I* could pass out notes at each lecture and my husband lives 2500 miles away and I have only water and condiments in my refrigerator, so then alot has changed but not for the better. But the something I was referring to at the beginning of this paragraph is the fact that somehow God saw fit to deliver a miracle.

dunt-dunt-dah--- I came in 3rd. And before you ask, yes, there were more than three people in the pool. Okay so it wasn't a "walk on water, turn water into wine, part the Red Sea, wake the dead" miracle, but do you see how crappy my life is these days? I'll take what I can get.

That just goes to show that if you keep trying and you stay up until 5am changing and rechanging your picks and you finally realize the no matter how much you love Stanford they are not a good tourney team and no matter how much you hate Rick Pitino his teams are, then you can eventually be the 2nd best loser. Now for next year, here's what I have to remember,

1. Cinncinati is never as good as I think they are. As a result new picking rule--assume they will win the first round then stop selecting them as the winning team no matter how sorry the other team is.

2. Gonzaga is a Cinderella team and as a result at some point the carriage turns into a pumpkin and the pretty girls end up running home embarrassed, so don't get stuck dancing with them at midnight (the final four).

3. No matter, how much you hate to admit it, even if he is a crazy, rude sociopath he coaches some good basketball, stop picking against Booby.

I'm sure there are some other good rules to follow, but let's face it, I only came in 3rd and so who cares.