4.10.2005

Because Sometimes Softer is Better

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a weird kind of relationship with music. I have ecletic taste but no talent for remembering lyrics, artist names or any other facts that you would expect a music lover to have.

In any case, probably my 3rd favorite type of music is hip-hop (after soul/neo-soul and female jazz vocalist) so I was happy to see that someone else is willing to finally say that while the lyrical stylings of gangstas and playas can be entertaining and sometimes mind-blowing that they also appreciate those people who use hip-hop to entertain without the violence and hypersexual content.

Without these soft-core rappers, hip-hop is a genre inappropriate for children's ears. So I join Murderator in his appreciation of Will Smith because I would want to raise my children to appreciate all types of music and I am glad to be able to find hip-hop that introduces them to it without having to worry that the only thing available is something with themes too mature for them.

And back to that thing about not remembering lyrics here are some I committed to memory more than a decade ago....okay, pay attention here's the thick mythe plot, I pulled up to the corner at the end of my block, that's when I saw this beautiful girly-girl walking, I picked up the car phone to perpetrate like I was talking, you should have seen this girl's bodily dimensions, i honked the horn just to get her attention, she said was that for me, I said, yeah, she said why, i said, come on and take a ride with a hellava guy, she said how do i know you're not sick, you could be some deranged lunatic, I said come on toots my name is the prince besides would a lunatic drive a porsche like this, she agreed and we were on our way, she was looking very good, so was I, I must say...

There more and I know it all including the part that comes before about going school shopping but the point is that this song without curse words or anything left an impression on me as an adolescent, which is more than I can say for alot of things I listened (and listen) to.