4.07.2005

Screw Turning the Other Cheek

Let me begin by saying that I was brought up in a very religious household. I went to Sunday school, Sunday services, Bible Study and Prayer Meetings and more Easter Pageants and Choral Presentations than you can shake a stick at. So I think I know a thing or two about being religious.

So imagine my shock at the fact that the same man who a week ago or so was at least considering adopting Terri Schiavo to save her from the heathens who wanted to let her completely die says that he is willing to sign into a law a statute that allows Floridians to "meet force with force."

Now, I am a bit confused about what the law actually allows:

1. Does it allow only that people can meet force with the amount and type of force that is directed at them as per this newsday article?

2. Or does it allow people to use force whenever they feel threatened as suggested in this yahoo.com article?

In either case, let me say that I am a bit appalled to live in a country (a world) where adults are encouraged to use violence first rather than seeking to flee from dangerous situations where ever they occur. I mean taken to its (il)logical extreme, this law says that if I walk into the house and suspect there are intruders are inside I am entitled to look for my gun, knife, ass-kicking gene etc. as opposed to turning my happy-ass around and calling a cop. That's just ignorant and dangerous for those of us who sometimes think we are tougher than we are.