4.12.2005

Well If You Are Going to Be Politically Correct....

Like most people my age, I grew up watching Sesame Street. Sometimes, when I am lost--physically or metaphysically--I even hum the words to the theme song. Because I really do want "to get where the air is sweet."

So, I was quite dismayed to see that they are tampering with one of my favorite characters, Cookie Monster. It seems that Cookie sets a bad example for the kiddies and now will be explaining that cookies are a "sometimes" food. I agree that childhood obesity is a serious problem and I can understand why the good folks over at the Sesame Workshop want to do their part. However, in fairness, mental health issues and social stratification are also serious social problems that affect the health and welfare of children.

Shouldn't they also have someone speak to the The Count about his obsessive compulsive disorder? And wouldn't it be great if they just acknowledged Big Bird created Snuffleupagus during a psychotic episode with hallucinations and not just sweep it under the rug by making a real Snuffy? And finally, as someone interested in inequality and social policy, I would like to have them address the fact that Elmo has been given many of the vital job functions previously associated with Grover as a result of an ageist policy.